Thursday, August 31, 2006

So i found this the other day, and decided to upload it to my vSocial account. The funny thing about this, is that the original song; hey ya, is a good song, and i have to admit that i liked the video, and the song was pretty good.

but once i heard this i fell in love. This version is so much better that the original in my opinion. Is that wrong? that the acoustic/emo version of the same song that i already like? its not the first time either. i totally fell in love with mark kozelek before i even realized that his cd "whats next to the moon" was entirely AC/DC covers. Now i don't pretend to be an AC/DC song. Sure, rock & roll really ain't noise pollution, and of course, without them Lewis Black would have to come up with a new catch name and intro song for his segments on the Daily Show. But I don't believe that when i'm in the shower i whistle the tune to "Giving the Dog a Bone" or lay in bed at night pining for a woman to "shake me all night long" (ok... the later may have happened before, but it's mearly coincidence).

Is it wrong that I totally love these versions more than the original song? sure, anyone can cover the song, but i think its something further than that. not only did he cover the song, he changed it. I mean come on... All Along the Watchtower didn't really sound the way we know it sound when Bob Dylan originally recorded it, and I don't really fault Jimmy for redoing it, but... it just seems a little fake to love a remake, more than the original.

I have always been an original fan... Original Oceans 11 was way better than the hollywood ending crap the Clooney, Pitt, Damon, Mac, Roberts and about 1,000 stars pushed together... and the sequal??? give me a break. Everyone knows that Godfather 2 is the only sequal to ever be better than the original... the exception that proves the rule. at least in movies.but i digress....

So i don't know.... "I'm Torn", "Am I wrong?"

No comments: