Thursday, August 24, 2006

So a couple weeks ago, my aunt called and asked my dad if the 2 of us could come and give her sister a blessing. I've never met the woman, but I enjoy using the blessings i have been given, so i gladly went.

Afterwards, my dad and i were walking to the car talking about the gospel. My dad was talking about how he read that in heaven, Joseph Smith and the other prophets and apostles from the starting era of the church were trained to do the things they did. My dad contemplated that Joseph probably spent years training to do all the things he did. Then, my dad mentioned that he probably only spent about 20 minutes in training. He had never done any good. He never started a religion, or received revelation from the Lord or from and angel.

I thought about it a lot, and a scene from the new movie Lady in the Water came to mind, for those of you who haven't seen it, there may be spoilers in here... I mentioned that the character the M. Night plays is an author, and he rights a book, and although he has no direct effect on anyone, a man that will read his book will come up with some great ideas, and use those ideas to become a world leader, and change part of society so that human kind isn't so violent.

I told my dad, that he had done a lot of great things. I told him i was greatful for everything he has taught me. I've learned the value of work from him. I've learned how to work. How to do things for myself. How to work on my car. I've also learned about devotion. While he and my mom never really got along, he stuck it out for me. Maybe some day i can pass those values on to my kids. And if it makes 1 day of my kids lives easier because of it, then I say he succeeded. I say even, if he only went to 20 minutes of celestial training, or that he never saw an angel, he has done his part. He is a convert. Because of him, my grandma and my uncle and their whole families joined the church. My brother and sister and one of my cousins served missions, and brought the benefits of the gospel to probably thousands of people.

So now the question is.... what am I going to do to make my training worth every second?

No comments: